Here are some resources I’ve created for you.
National Trails Day Hike – Join me for a free women’s hike (leisurely walk) I’m leading on National Trails Day, at Occoneechee Mountain State Natural Area in Hillsborough, N.C., on Saturday, June 2, 2018. RSVP
VIDEOS: Essential stretches for walkers and runners – Here is a simple routine I created of stretches to help you warm up and cool down.
- Wear a good pair of supportive running or walking shoes. It’s worth the investment.
- Use your foot roller, before and after walking. (If you don’t have one, try a frozen water bottle or a tennis ball)
- Do pre-walking stretches first (video).
Michelle’s Fitness Walking Technique (remember STAIRS):
- Strike with your heel first
- Tempo – Walk to the beat of the music (set playlist ahead of time)
- Arms pump to the back
- Intervals of fast and moderate paces
- Raise chest up, shoulders back (good posture)
- Small steps
Fitness Walking with Intervals 30-minute Workout Sample Playlist (80’s songs):
- Warmup – Head Over Heels – Tears for Fears
- Moderate – The Tide is High – Blondie
- Fast – Love Shack – B-52s
- Moderate – I’ve Had the Time of My Life – Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes
- Moderate – Things Can Only Get Better – Howard Jones
- Fast – Fame – Irene Cara
- Moderate – Kokomo – Beach Boys
- Moderate – Down Under – Men at Work
- Cooldown/Slow – I Want to Know What Love Is – Foreigner
Walking and running accessories
- The must-have safety item you need if you run, walk or cycle
- Awesome walking and running accessories to get you up and moving
- Review of fitness trackers
Helpful free apps
- MapMyRide, MapMyRun, or MapMyWalk (all track walking) – to automatically track your routes, distance, calories and time
- MyFitnessPal – for tracking calories of food and exercise
Tip: You can link your MapMyRide or other tracking apps to your MyFitnessPal account, and your walk/run/ride will automatically be recorded in MyFitnessPal. You can set this up in MyFitnessPal.
Beautiful destinations in the Triangle and Triad to walk
Spring is the perfect time to get outdoors and walk. Here on the blog, I have photo tours and reviews of the following nearby trails and parks. These are great places to rack up your weekly step counts!
- Graham Regional Park – here’s a photo tour of all the fitness equipment at the new park, AND how to use each one. This park has an awesome 1/4 mile walking track!
- Occoneechee Mountain, Hillsborough – Join me June 2 for a free hike! More info
- Historic Occoneechee Speedway Trail
- Duke Gardens
- Eno River State Park
- NC Botanical Garden
- Stone Mountain State Park
- Hanging Rock State Park
- Pilot Mountain State Park
Need a customized walking plan, or help accomplishing your fitness or weight loss goals? I’m a Certified Personal Trainer who specializes in working with women over 40, Boomers and Seniors; in person or online. For more information, see my fitness services website. Contact me today and let’s talk!