Here are some resources I’ve created for you. Feel free to share with your family and friends!
NEW workshop: How to Walk Off the Weight!
I’m super excited to announce a new workshop! Join me in downtown Graham at Graham Walks on Thursday 10/5 OR at the Graham Regional Park during Fitness First on Saturday 10/7 for this — it might just change your life! In this informal talk, I’ll reveal the exact way I walked off 60 pounds over age 40, and how YOU can, too! I’ll give you some very important strategies for success. Don’t miss this opportunity to learn valuable tips, to consult with me personally, and to get all of your questions answered. Please register now to reserve your spot! Details and RSVP here
Graham program information
Graham Walks is from Sept. 7-Oct. 12. It’s a self-paced walking program designed to inspire you to stay active and reach an average of 6,000 steps per day. I and staff from the City of Graham Recreation and Parks Dept. will be on site to assist you, on Thursdays from 11:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m. in Downtown Graham. Stop by our table across the street from the courthouse for a different giveaway each week!
Be sure to register, and complete your logs every week to be eligible to win one of five grand prizes!
- Graham Walks Downtown Walking Routes Map (pdf) – Includes a 1/2 mile Fitness Trail and 1-mile Historic Trail
- Walking log (pdf)
Fitness First on Saturdays will be from 8-9 a.m. on Saturday mornings from Sept. 9-Oct. 21 at the beautiful new Graham Regional Park. I and staff from the Recreation and Parks Dept. will be on site to assist you in creating a personal fitness plan using the exercise equipment and the paved track at the park.
GUIDE: How to use the adult fitness equipment at Graham Regional Park – here’s a photo tour of all the fitness equipment at the new park, AND how to use each one.
Walking and running accessories
- The must-have safety item you need if you run, walk or cycle
- Awesome walking and running accessories to get you up and moving
- The best fitness trackers of 2017
Tip: Graham Walks participants – If you use a fitness tracker, you can screen-shot your results and submit that each week in lieu of a written log.
Helpful free apps
- MapMyRide, MapMyRun, or MapMyWalk (all track walking, too) – to automatically track your routes, distance, calories and time
- MyFitnessPal – for tracking calories of food and exercise
Tip: You can link your MapMyRide or other tracking apps to your MyFitnessPal account, and your walk/run/ride will automatically be recorded in MyFitnessPal. You can set this up in MyFitnessPal.
Beautiful destinations in the Triangle and Triad to walk
Fall is the perfect time to get outdoors and walk. Here on the blog, I have photo tours and reviews of the following nearby trails and parks. These are great places to rack up your weekly step counts!
- Occoneechee Mountain, Hillsborough – Geology hike | Fall hike 2 | Fall hike 1 | Spring hike
- Historic Occoneechee Speedway Trail, Hillsborough
- Duke Gardens, Durham
- Eno River State Park, Durham
- NC Botanical Garden, Chapel Hill
- Stone Mountain State Park
- Hanging Rock State Park – Indian Creek Trail | Hanging Rock Trail 2 | Hanging Rock Trail 1 | Lower Cascades Trail
- Pilot Mountain State Park – Fall hike | Spring hike | Winter hike – Sasafrass trail
Tip: If you go to Pilot Mountain or Hanging Rock on a weekend during peak fall color, I recommend getting there early in the day. They are very popular destinations and tend to fill up.
- Grandfather Mountain, Boone
Use a foot roller prior to walking — to massage the foot tissue, increase blood flow to the area, and help prepare your feet for walking or running.
To stretch calves, quads & hamstrings – Holding onto a railing or chair for support if needed:
- Lunge, hold for 30-60 sec.
- On the extended leg in back, bend knee and straighten (small movement), 4x
- Repeat on the other leg.
Need a customized walking plan, or help accomplishing your fitness or weight loss goals? I’m a Certified Personal Trainer who specializes in working with women over 40, Boomers and Seniors; in person or online. For more information, see my fitness services website. Contact me today and let’s talk!