Tomato soup is one of the ultimate comfort foods. Is there anything better than a piping hot bowl of tomato soup and a grilled sandwich? It’s a quick and delicious lunch or dinner that the whole family can enjoy.
But when I launched my healthy living transformation and started reading labels, I sadly decided to forgo one of my lifelong favorites, Campbell’s Tomato Soup. It contains some ingredients I prefer to limit or avoid, including high fructose corn syrup and wheat flour. Plus, these days I’m on a lower sodium diet.
I tried other brands and recipes, but was always disappointed. They just didn’t taste like the original I loved, or they were creamy — and I’m dairy-free due to lactose intolerance.
I finally decided to try making my own, and I wasn’t going to settle for anything less than something great. Well, after all this time…I finally have a good recipe! It’s delicious!! And SO quick and easy to make!
My healthy homemade version is dairy-free, wheat-free, lower sodium and has no artificial colors or additives.
If you like Campbell’s, you will like this one. Even my son — who always tells it like it is — said it tastes like the original. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
- 15 ounce can of tomato sauce (I use Hunt’s No Salt Added)
- 6 ounce can of tomato paste (I use Hunt’s No Salt Added)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste (start with 1/4 teaspoon if using regular tomato sauce and paste)
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk, original flavor (or use regular milk)
- Add all ingredients except almond milk to a medium pot; stir well.
- Heat on medium heat until it starts to simmer.
- Stir in almond milk.
- Heat to simmer, stirring frequently.
Makes (7) 1-cup servings. 68.5 calories per serving. (Based on using almond milk)
©Michelle Rogers, Inc.
Subscribe to my newsletter to receive new posts by email! Go