Looking for a healthy dinner option that’s high in protein and iron, and low in calories? And budget friendly, to boot? Look no further than London Broil! A 4 oz. serving boasts 40 grams of protein, 20.3% of the recommended daily allowance for iron, and just 224 calories. Plus, it’s only 4 grams of fat, and because this recipe has no added sugar it’s low-carb.
London Broil is a family favorite and I make it quite often. By using a simple marinade, it turns out so tender and delicious! Typically, I’ll marinade in the morning for that night’s dinner, but you really can’t go wrong with this. I’ve done it anywhere from an hour to a day or two, depending on life.
1. Lightly season London broil with pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.
2. In a gallon size ziploc bag, combine about 1/4 cup of any red wine (OR apple cider vinegar); and 1/2 cup vegetable oil or another oil of your choice (I use canola or olive). The amounts don’t have to be precise. Combine well and place meat in the bag.
3. Seal bag and place in refrigerator until you’re ready to use it. If I’m home, I’ll turn over the bag every now and then.
4. Take it out of the bag, pat dry with paper towels. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
5. It’s best on the grill, but you can use your broiler if you prefer. Grill approximately 6 minutes each side. Don’t overcook! We like it pink in the middle.
6. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for about 5 minutes. Slice thinly and serve immediately.
Yum! It really is simple. You can’t get it wrong unless you burn it. I especially love this meal when I need some extra iron in my diet. Enjoy!----------------------------------------
Take online exercise classes and workshops with me! Try it for free!