Do you sit the majority of the time at work or at home? If you work in an office, chances are you do.
Sitting for long periods is hard on the body, especially the back. In fact, sitting is the #1 cause of back pain. Sitting causes 30-40% more intradiscal pressure than standing! (The Power of Personal Training, 2013)
Do you ever feel back pain from sitting too long? How about stiffness in your neck, shoulders, legs, and even arms and wrists from being on the computer all day?
We’re all very busy, and it’s easy to forget to get up and move. But if you’ll take a few quick stretch breaks during the day, your body will thank you. If you’ll take a few minutes at lunchtime to go outside and walk and get some fresh air and sunshine, you’ll come back in refreshed. It’s well worth the time, for your body, mind and spirit.
Here are 10 simple strategies for moving more at work.
1. Take regular stretch breaks. Slip into an empty conference room if needed.
2. Set calendar alerts or use an app to remind you to get up and move.
3. Take a lunchtime walk break. Especially after the time change, it’s important to get sunlight and fresh air mid-day. Start a walking group with co-workers, if you don’t want to walk alone.
4. Keep a pair of sneakers in your office.
5. Consider getting an adjustable sit/stand desk. Many employers are now providing these upon request.
6. Walking meetings. Meeting with just one or two people? Try having a walking meeting instead of a sit-down meeting. Or use this opportunity to walk with them to a nearby coffee shop to meet.
7. Take the stairs instead of the elevator when possible.
8. Use a fitness tracker such as a Fitbit to help you reach your daily movement goals.
9. Walk it over. Instead of sending paperwork via interoffice mail to someone in your building, drop it off to them in person.
10. Take advantage of any fitness fringe benefits your employer offers, such as on-site classes or gym memberships.
Note: This post contains affiliate links.
©Michelle Rogers, Inc.----------------------------------------
Take online exercise classes and workshops with me! Try it for free!