Here’s a delicious treat that makes a welcome addition to any Easter basket — chocolate peanut butter eggs! We love them with dark chocolate, but they are yummy with milk chocolate as well. These eggs are super easy to make. You’ll never want to buy artificially-flavored Easter candy again!
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 2 bags Ghirardelli Dark Melting Wafers (or, 1-2 bags milk chocolate chips if preferred)
- 2 tablespoons shortening (we prefer organic palm shortening)
- Egg-shaped cookie cutter
- Cooling rack OR parchment paper
- Sheet pan
- Large cutting board
- Rolling pin
- In a mixer, beat together powdered sugar, peanut butter and butter. Add milk one tablespoon at a time, and continue to beat together until the dough softens. Dough will still be somewhat crumbly but should mostly stick together; otherwise add another tablespoon of milk.
- Lightly “flour” a large cutting board with a combination of powdered sugar and cornstarch.
- Roll the dough out to desired thickness, about 1/2″.
- Use an egg-shaped cookie cutter, or shape the dough into an egg shape by hand.
- Place on parchment paper or a cooling rack on a cookie sheet. Spray with cooking spray. Place eggs on it, and put in the freezer for an hour.
- When you’re ready to coat the eggs, in a bowl add chocolate wafers and shortening. Microwave 30 seconds at a time. Stir every 30 seconds until melted, approx. one minute. Use immediately.
- Spoon chocolate over the top and sides of each egg. Let set until chocolate firms. Flip eggs over, and coat the other side. Let set until firm. Enjoy!
Makes about 8 large (4″) eggs, or 16 small eggs.
Please note: These are very sweet treats and may not be appropriate for everyone. I practice moderation in all aspects of my diet. As for the peanut butter eggs and cups, I enjoy them but I generally reserve these for special occasions, such as making gourmet gifts for holidays.
©Michelle Rogers, Inc.
Video from a live Periscope broadcast:
This post contains Amazon affiliate links.
Find out about my online and in-person personal training services for women over 40.