Fall is a great time for baking, and something my family always wants me to make for Thanksgiving and other special dinners are my famous sweet potato biscuits. They’re delicious!
But did you know that sweet potatoes are also highly nutritious? They’re rich in fiber, potassium and vitamins A and C. They also contain an antioxidant that can enhance nutrient metabolism and boost your immune system. Sweet potatoes are even associated with decreasing wrinkles.
And at just 167 calories for a thick, scrumptious biscuit, it’s a treat you can feel good about eating.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2-3 baked sweet potatoes, skins removed
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup milk or buttermilk
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; set aside.
- In mixer bowl, combine sweet potatoes, brown sugar, and butter; beat until well-blended and fluffy.
- Combine dry ingredients and sweet potato mixture; mix well.
- Gradually add milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing until a soft dough is formed.
- Turn out onto a floured board, knead gently. Spread dough out and pat down to about 1/2″ thickness.
- Cut with 2″ cookie cutter dipped in flour.
- Spray baking sheet with nonstick oil.
- Arrange biscuits 1″ apart on baking sheet.
- Bake at 425 for 16-18 minutes.
- Remove biscuits from pan and cool on rack.Makes 12 1″ thick, 2.5″ wide biscuits
Gluten free flour option:
Instead of 2 cups regular flour, use 1 1/4 cups white rice flour and 3/4 cup gluten free all-purpose flour.
- Great for leftover baked sweet potatoes.
- Baking sweet potatoes can be messy in the oven, so I like to place them on a foil-lined cookie sheet to bake. Never wrap any kind of potato in foil to bake. Doing so increases the opportunity for botulism — a severe food-borne illness.
- Store biscuits in refrigerator; reheat in microwave or oven.
©Michelle Rogers, Inc.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links.
Take online exercise classes and workshops with me! Try it for free!